Anyone reading my blog might have noticed that roughly once a month my writing becomes pretty bloody, feminine, moon-filled and menstruation related! Unsurprisingly this is because I have my period then and when I have my period it pretty much consumes my whole being. I ache from my toes, through my legs, deep in my belly, up my spine, across my chest, out into my finger tips and to the crown of my head. My vision is blurred and I can’t think straight, least about anything except blood! My epilepsy is worse, my pain is worse. I’m hyper-sensitive and the world is painfully beautiful. I feel an ancient connection to the earth, a closeness to the women in my life. During this time I am irrational, tearfull and exhausted. It is intense, so, I write. I write and I talk about it. I find it sad that periods are still taboo, tampons and sanitary pads still whispered for in the chemist. Women still made to feel dirty, still unable to discuss the subject openly. Periods are regrded as a curse that women have to silently bear. Well I won’t not now.
Yes, periods aren’t exactly FUN. Take yesterday, I was woken up by violent cramps at 5am. I thought I had a stomach bug, I stumbled the loo, dripping with sweat, head pounding, unable to see straight not knowing if I was going to puke or well…you get the picture grim and gross! But neither, oh no, it was just my period arriving in style for a gore-fest- earlier than I expected for some reason known only to the Goddess she likes to play tricks like that!- I was unamused and spent the day sweating and writhing, searcing for meds. Today is calmer, clearer, so I thought I’d write not only why periods are GRIM, but why I love my period and what is positively awesome about period-times!
- Periods are the most rejuvenating thing EVER and mean women live longer than men! Three days after my period I can guarantee that I will be healthier and happier than I was before. All the toxins have been washed out of my body and I am refreshed physically and mentally. Men never get to do this, studies suggest that this is why on average men die younger than women.
- Periods increase pain threshold. I am certain periods are the reason women are actually much tougher than men, when it comes to injury and illness.
- Periods cross languages, religions and continents, uniting all women worldwide. It is a shared female experience, it bonds women and creates common ground. You can go into a busy public ladies toilet anywhere in the world and I gurantee if you needed a sanitary product you will be offered one freely and generously. I have seen women of diffrent, creeds, colours, bought together for a brief moment to share a knowing smile and a wad of absorbent padding. Surely that is an amazing thing to have, to be part of.
- My period is my bodys way of letting me know it’s healthy, that I’m not too fat or too thin and that basically it’s just chilling out waiting to make new life!
- When I have my period I can validly skip ‘excersise’, wear granny knickers, eat meat and cheese alot more! I get to ‘treat’ myself all day everyday of my period. Life is short and when Aunt-flo is a-visiting I am guilt-free!
- Periods make sex better. Really, truly, honestly they do! In advance of their periods TONS of studies show women have more active libidos/are horny as fuck and while yes PMS is a fact too, many women still report feeling healthier and hornier during their periods than at any oher time! Also, if you’re up for a gory session then all the extra-sensitivity going on makes sex during menstruation pretty damn great! Just some thoughts…!
So there it is, my top six reasons why periods are awesome, I love being a woman and I love my body! I hope that by talking about menstruation more often, openly realistically and unashamedly more women will learn to love their bodies too. One Love.